Kara-Tur (Forgotten Realms)

Spirit Folk

2116



Spirit Folk
 Bamboo Spirit FolkRiver Spirit FolkSea Spirit Folk
Climate/Terrain:Tropical, subtropical, and temperate forests and junglesTropical, subtropical, and temperate riversTropical, subtropical, and temperate ocean
Frequency:UncommonUncommonUncommon
Organization:ClansClansClans
Activity Cycle:AnyAnyAny
Diet:OmnivoreOmnivoreOmnivore
Intelligence:Very to genius (12-18)Very to genius (12-18)Very to genius (12-18)
Treasure:Individual: L,N; Clan: IIndividual: N,Q; Clan: CIndividual: M,N,Q; Clan: A
Alignment:Lawful good or neutralNeutral goodChaotic good
No. Appearing:1-101-102-20
Armor Class:101010
Movement:1212, Sw 1212, Sw 12
Hit Dice:111
THAC0:202020
No. of Attacks:111
Damage/Attack:By weaponBy weaponBy weapon
Special Attacks:See belowSee belowSee below
Special Defenses:See belowSee belowSee below
Magic Resistance:See belowSee belowSee below
Size:M (5’ tall)M (5’ tall)M (5’ tall)
Morale:Elite (13)Elite (13)Elite (13)
XP Value:175175175

Spirit folk are the descendants of humans and various spirits of nature. All have strong ties to both the natural world and the society of humans.

There are three distinct races of spirit folk: bamboo, river, and sea. Of the three, bamboo spirit folk are the type most frequently encountered by humans and other land-dwellers. Like other spirit folk, bamboo spirit folk are nearly indistinguishable from humans. They have thin, supple bodies with golden or pale yellow skin. Their narrow eyes are almond or black with eyebrows so thin that they appear to have been drawn with a pen. Their hair is short, and either blonde, light brown, or grey. The men are always smooth-shaven. Otherwise, bamboo spirit folk appear in all the diversity of humans, radiating a robust love of life and nature. Many approach the ideal of human beauty. They prefer simple dress, usually wearing the clothing of farmers or peasants.

Because of their strong ties to humans, all spirit folk can be samurai, kensai, or bushi. Their supple bodies give them exceptional Dexterity, and their physical beauty and gentle manner accounts for their high Charisma. Their thin bodies limit their Constitution, however. Spirit folk ability scores are summarized on the table below.

Bamboo spirit folk speak the languages of all spirit folk, as well as the trade language and the language of the Celestial Court. Each time a bamboo spirit folk gains an experience level, he can learn the language of one forest animal.

Combat: Spirit folk are highly attuned to nature, and possess special powers when dealing with natural forces and events. These powers are drawn from their spiritual ancestry. Bamboo spirit folk have a 75% chance to recognize and identify normal (nonmagical and unintelligent) plants. They have a 50% chance to identify normal (nonmagical and unintelligent) animals. They can move alone on foot through woodland, forest, or grassland without leaving a trail. When a bamboo spirit folk is traveling with others (including other spirit folk), a modifier of -20% (or -4 if 1d20 is used) is applied to all attempts to follow the group’s trail. When in woodlands or forests, the bamboo spirit folk have a 75% chance to hide in shadows. Like all spirit folk, the bamboo spirit folk have infravision with a 120-foot range. In addition, bamboo spirit folk gain a +1 bonus to all saves vs. spells, rods, staves, wands, and miscellaneous magical items that involve the element earth or wood.

The lifeforce of a bamboo spirit folk is always tied to a bamboo grove deep within a forest. If this grove is damaged, the spirit folk suffers a comparable amount of damage. For example, if half the grove is burned to the ground, the spirit folk loses half of his total hit points. If the grove is destroyed, the spirit folk dies instantly. When a bamboo spirit folk enters his grove, he is instantly cured of all wounds and diseases. This grove can never be moved, nor do shoots sprouted from this grove have any special effect; for instance, if the grove increases in size, the spirit folk does not gain any additional hit points or abilities. A spirit folk is not required to remain within the vicinity of his grove and can travel any distance from his grove without suffering ill effects.

Though bamboo spirit folk prefer peaceful solutions to violence, they can fight courageously and skillfully when necessary. Bamboo spirit folk employ a variety of weapons. When a force of bamboo spirit folk is encountered, they typically carry short swords (50%), wakizashi (30%), and parang (20%). When anticipating combat, bamboo spirit folk prefer lighter armor, such as leather or padded. A force of ten or more 1st-level bamboo spirit folk bushi is led by either a 2nd- to 5th-level bushi (60% chance), kensai (25%), or samurai (15% ).

Habitat/Society: Bamboo spirit normally live near forests or jungles. Only occasionally do they establish their own settlements, preferring instead to mingle with human societies where they are not only accepted as equals, but are actively sought as marriage partners because of their beauty and grace.

Because part of their ancestry is human, all spirit folk must belong to a family or clan. Many are land-holders, and some even assume roles in human governments. However, bamboo spirit folk have a responsibility to the Lord of the Woods that supersedes their responsibilities to human societies. While the spirit folk can never obtain honor from serving their spirit lord, they are required to obey his commands. Failing to do so, or acting in a manner that dishonors the spirit lord, will be punished by natural disasters visited on the spirit folk and his family, including any human relatives. If the interests of the human family and the spirit lord conflict, spirit folk are expected to support their spirit lord first.

Ecology: Bamboo spirit folk eat the same foods as humans, though they tend to be vegetarians, mainly eating fruits, grains, and vegetables. They have little taste for wine or other strong drink.

River Spirit Folk

River spirit folk are associated with one particular river or stream and commonly live somewhere near it. They resemble bamboo spirit folk in appearance and attitude, except that their eyes are blue or green and their hair is usually black. Like bamboo spirit folk, river spirit folk can be samurai, kensai, or bushi.

River spirit folk can swim in any type of water at their normal movement rate (reduced for encumbrance). When swimming, all items they carry, including unprotected paper or scrolls, remain perfectly dry, even if submerged. River folk can breathe both air and water, though they prefer aquatic environments.

River spirit folk speak the language of fishes, the language of the Celestial Court, the trade language, and the languages of spirit folk.

River folk are attuned to water in all its forms, and they gain a +1 bonus to all saving throws vs. spells, rods, staves, wands, and miscellaneous magical items involving the element water. They are especially vulnerable to fire, suffering a -1 penalty on all saving throws vs. fire-based attacks. Once per day, they can lower water in rivers and streams by a depth of 10 feet, allowing others to cross easily; this effect lasts five rounds. Like bamboo spirit folk, river spirit folk have infravision with a 120-foot range.

The lifeforce of a river spirit folk is tied to a single, specific river as it flows along its natural banks. (Water diverted for irrigation is no longer considered part of the river.) When a river spirit folk bathes in his river, he is instantly cured of all wounds and diseases. Changes in the depth or flow of his river affect him. For instance, if the river is lowered by half during a drought, the spirit folk’s hit points and ability scores are also lowered by half. Major flooding makes the spirit folk wild and uncontrollable. Engineering changes (e.g., dams) that permanently alter the river make the spirit folk progressively weaker until he dies.

A force of river spirit folk typically carries short swords (40%), spears (40%), and daggers (20%). A force of ten or more 1st-level river spirit folk bushi is led by either a 2nd- to 5th-level bushi (60% chance), kensai (25%), or samurai (15%). Forces of more than ten have a proportionate number of leaders (for instance, a force of 30-39 river spirit folk has three leaders).

River spirit folk are somewhat less integrated into human societies than bamboo spirit folk, though they mingle freely with humans and are also sought by humans as mates. All river spirit folk belong to a family or clan. Their primary responsibility is to the Lord of the Rivers, and they are expected to answer to all of his summons.

River spirit folk are excellent fishermen, hunters, and guides. They subsist on sea life, enjoying all varieties of fish.

Sea Spirit Folk

Sea spirit folk are the most numerous and reclusive of all spirit folk, preferring a nomadic life to association with humans.

Sea spirit folk share similar characteristics and attitudes with the river spirit folk. They physically resemble river spirit folk, except that their hair is blue or white, and their skin is usually dark green brown, or gray. They can breathe in any salt water or fresh water and can also breathe air. They swim at their normal movement rate (reduced for encumbrance) in any type of water. Items carried when swimming never become wet.

Sea spirit folk speak the language of fishes and the Celestial Court, the trade language, and the languages of spirit folk.

A force of sea spirit folk typically carries short swords (30%), tridents (25%), spears (25%), and daggers (20%). A force of ten or more 1st-level sea spirit folk bushi is led by either a 2nd- to 5thlevel bushi (70% chance), kensai (250%), or samurai (5%). Forces of more than ten have a proportionate number of leaders.

Once per day, sea spirit folk can predict the weather for the next 24 hours with a 75% chance of being correct. They gain a +1 bonus to all saving throws vs. fire-based attacks and have infravision with a 120-foot range.

Changes in the sea do not affect these spirit folk, nor does the water heal them. Once a year, they can receive one favor from the sea, such as a violent storm, fair sailing winds, rain, or the recovery of a particular item from the ocean floor. Each spirit folk must ask for a specific favor; should two or more sea spirit folk make opposing requests (e.g., if one asks for clear weather and another requests storms), neither request will be granted and their favors for that year are lost.

Of all the spirit lords, the Sea Lord has the most authority and takes the most interest in the activities of his kin. The Lord of the Sea may bestow gifts upon particularly worthy sea spirit folk, such as those who have completed exceptionally difficult tasks or those who have performed their duties with honor.

 

Spirit Folk Abilities
AbilityMin.Max.
Strength618
Intelligence1218
Wisdom918
Dexterity1218
Constitution614
Charisma1418

Last Modified: June 10, 2010, 12:04:46 GMT

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition


◆ 1880 ◆